We just came back from a road trip to Washington D.C. and we had a blast! If you ever plan to visit D.C. with or without kids, I want to share some tips with you to make your trip as productive and enjoyable as possible! Hopefully these tips could also make your trip easier and more organized! 👍 So, here we go…
1. Look for hotels in Fairfax area, price is much cheaper. Closer you get to Washington D.C., higher the price. Don’t worry about the distance between Fairfax and Washington D.C. because highways are very easily accessible and it requires not much time to get around.
2. Take advantage of the free museums in and around the core D.C. area, there are tons of them. Plan ahead of time so you can choose and decide which ones you should go visit. Our favourite museum was the “ Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History”. There were so much to see in there that we wished we had another full day to continue seeing.
3. Try to get as close to the White House as you can without getting yourself in trouble with the Secret Services of course, 😅 We happened to be there during 4th of July and there were tons of road closures, line ups, and large crowds in the area. We weren’t able to go closer to the White House; we tried to take a peek at it while driving around other open streets. Despite all the challenges, we defiantly decided to go back in near future with the kids to take a closer look!
4. Don’t forget to visit the Capitol! I would like to call it a wonder of D.C. due to its architectural excellency. It is definitely a photo-worthy spot with the kids and family. It was heavily fortified around the Capitol due to the Independence Day celebration, but I’m sure any other times of the year should be lot easier get closer photo shots.
5. Another box that you need to check off your Washington list is visiting the Washington Monument, of course. The Washington Monument is pretty much visible from all corners of Washington D.C. and even some parts of Virginia and Maryland. You definitely know why once you walk up close to it, the seize of it is just breath taking.
6. Now, this tip is more geared towards Canadians but also a great one for other nationals; it is taking a look at the Canadian Embassy building. If you go during summer time, they have a outdoor water wall where you can actually put your hands against the wall and feel the cold water which will make you feel so refreshed and also a great photo spot! Oh and the extra large beautiful Canadian flags dropped hanging off the roof just gives our Embassy a very nice vibe. The lack of security around the building is kinda concerning but I guess Canadians are well loved by most people.😁💓🇨🇦
7. Don’t forget to enjoy the amazing architecture and statutes; there are tons of them at every corner of Washington. A lot of these amazing buildings are so big that they won’t fit in your picture frame! These ginormous architectures make you realize how great of a country the United States of America is.
8. Talking about large buildings, I also want to make sure I mention the great distance between the blocks on the streets. This simply means A LOT of walking to get around. Great exercise for those of us who try to lose weight though😜 For some of us who prefer not so much to walk, there are enough rental bikes in every corner.
9. Drive to the Georgetown. Georgetown has many stores and restaurants but what we loved the most is its atmosphere. It feels like a small European town with fresh flowers everywhere.
10. And for moms, we know that we deserve some shopping time😋 My favourite was the Tysons Corner Centre. What I love about it is not only the fact that they have all the brands & stores, but also the fact that kids can enjoy the little playground next to the foodcourt and go on a train ride.
11. Last but not least, we recommend the Children’s Science Centre Lab in Fair Oaks Mall. They charge about $14 dollars per person to get in and you will get enough time to explore & learn about all the fun activities & science experiments. You get a stamp on your hand if you want to step out for food or something and get back in with the same admission!
So long story short, our Washington D.C. tour was a very memorable one that set the bar very high in terms of our future trips. The giant breathtaking architectures, famous and historic statutes, mind-blowing wonders and history in the museums, and the extremely rich and diverse cultures of Washington D.C. made it one of our top travel destinations without a doubt. Please feel free to utilize my tips in this blog to help make the most out of your future trips to Washington with or without your little ones!❤ Want more useful tips and ideas in the future? Don’t forget to subscribe to my page!
Oh by the way, if you have been to DC and have more awesome tips, please feel free to share it on the comment box so all of us can be benefit from it together.💞
Click here ⬇to read more about
Loved this article? Don’t forget to share it with your friends!💕